Most of us will suffer from dry skin at some point in our lives.
What causes dry skin and what can we do about it?
Our skin is the largest organ of our body and essential to good health as well as appearance. What causes dry skin and what can we do about it? Here are just a few:
Dry Skin Causes
- An inherited tendency to under-active sebaceous glands
- Skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis
- Too much sun exposure
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Certain medication
- The ageing process
- Exposure to harsh chemicals or climate conditions.
The skin acts as a protective barrier between our body and the environment. To maintain this function our skin requires moisture and oil.
Many factors affect how our skin performs this vital function such as aging, exposure to chemicals, skin conditions such as psoriasis. Hormone disruption and medications can also play a factor in dry skin.
Tips for Treating Dry Skin
- Use a moisturizer or skin serum effectively:
- Don't under moisturize - 2-3 times a day is much more effective for dry skin
- Be consistent with your routine. Allow 2-3 weeks to see improvement
- Choose your ingredients carefully - natural plant extracts and oils are very effective in restoring skin's moisture.
- Avoid products with petroleum and mineral oil and ones that are full of synthetic ingredients, these only mask the problem not help repair it. Studies show that natural substance like coconut oil are superior to synthetic counterparts like mineral oil.
- Drink plenty of water and eat healthy foods.
Remember-be consistent and follow a healthy routine.